Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Her Birdy Highness - SGD 35 - Sold

Ooh a RED piece! Now we're talking *hah* A venomous red & black chinois necklace of tiny black pearl & an oval cinnabar bird pendant. This dual layered piece is really one long strand so you just wind it around your neck and adjust how high you want the shorter layer to sit. This is a sexy piece to wear with your black tube/leather catsuit for that party night out!

On a quirky note, I've noticed that most chinese singaporeans are a bit wary of wearing "too oriental" clothes or accessories. I can understand the associated stereotype of looking like a waitress in a chinatown chinese restaurant but honestly, why do we go " Eee, cheena pok" at cheongsam shops or other oriental-themed shops? I for one love all things oriental, I think we have a great history, a great culture and we shouldn't be afraid to identify with it. (Plus ahem, my shop name) Just inject a touch of modern culture to it and it can be a great stylish piece!

Why did this come to mind? Well, I was commissioning a cheongsam for my wedding next year at this small Far East shop called Mazzario and I started chatting with the designer who turned out the be same age as I was! We started discussing ideas, trends, fashion & she was commenting how hard it was in the early days cos pple would walk past her shop and turn up their noses and go "Eee, cheena pok!". If you overlook the first few pieces that sometimes resemble 1920's songstress dresses, you'll find that she has gorgeous cheongsam-inspired tubes or tunics and even toga-inspired tops! Moral of story: Don't judge a shop by how it looks.

I can't wait to see how my dress will turn out - I've opted for a more classic In The Mood For Love look but with modern details & mouth-dropping colours ~haha~ It's a surprise for Matt and for everyone too!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...