Friday, August 18, 2006

What Drives You?

While doing my Purpose Driven Life readings for this week (my small group @AMKMC is doing it right now), some things just struck me again as totally relevant even though it wasn't my 1st time reading it. I guess when you read a book at different stages of your life, it relates to you in vastly different ways each time depending on your experiences & mentality. That's why good books are for keeps!

Some exerpts that I found meaningful:

"When you are doing what you love to do, no one has to motivate you or challenge you or check up on you. You do it for the sheer enjoyment. You don't need rewards or applause or payment. When you don't have a heart for what you're doing, you are easily discouraged.

Passion drives perfection, if you don't care about a task, it is unlikely you will excel at it. In contrast, the highest achievers in any field are those who do it because of passion, not duty or profit.

We have all heard people say,"I took a job I hate in order to make a lot of money, so someday I can quite and not do what I have to do." That's a big mistake. Don't waste your life in a job that doesn't express your heart. Remember the greatest things in life are not things. Meaning is far more impt than money. Don't settle for just "the good life" because the good life is not enough. Ultimately it doesn't satisfy. You can have a lot to live on and still have nothing to live for. "

It's true, when we love sth, we are naturally motivated to keep doing it even if we are totally exhausted or when everyone thinks otherwise. I know the Singapore society has its own ideas of what a proper job should be, and yes stability is good, but if there's sth that calls you, if you never give it a go, you will never know what could have been. Sometimes it takes actual experimentation, trying sth new to find out what your calling is.

I know all of us want to find a job that we love and pay well. Some of us are fortunate, others not so. But don't compel yourself to this society's expectations! Find out what drives you and when you do, you'll know what to do next. Simply being true to yourself can be very empowering!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...