Thursday, May 10, 2007

The job market's picking up, folks!

It's been quite strangely coincidental, I've had 2 old friends calling me abt offering me a job on 2 consecutive days! The first was fr an ex-colleague, I was in HR, she was in finance and we met in one company. Later I moved onto another company and she joined the same company soon after! However later on I left, while she stayed and went on to do quite well!

I'm just honoured she thought of me when she needed someone to fill in a spot under her! I had to decline her kind offer, even though it was really honestly quite tempting, imagine a stable income and regular CPF contributions every month, and paid medical leave, and BONUSES. Still, the thought of going back to the same company is just odd, even if it's a different dept in this humongously big firm. Plus I get to go to work in my PJs now, and go for naps whenever I want to, and shop in the afternoons without having to sneak around! More importantly I get to do what I love minus office politics :p (though I can be quite a dictator on myself) .

The next call was fr an old classmate who's also done well in his chosen line. Darn! What's with all these corporate pple! Makes me feel small and strange in my little sweatshop haha. It's not easy sometimes, bumping into old clasmates or going to reunions, cos the question of our professions is nearly always the inevitable opening line. Not that I regret my decision ever, but sometimes you have this little voice inside you wishing you could say sth glamourous like, oh i'm a headhunter and i travel every other week to new york or hongkong or whereever that's glitzy and fancy. Or I'm now a manager with goodness knows how many subordinates working for me. And I'm earning big bucks! Just got a new car, went on an exotic holiday to the bahamas or whatever it is pple do when they're doing good.

I'm happy for my friends, and even happier they remember little old me. Still I'm glad I have a steady hubby who never fails to keep me grounded, and reminds me of all the reasons I do what I do now. Esp. when I'm tempted to go back to the corporate world. There's no point in comparing really, as long as we're all working hard in our chosen careers and earning a decent living. Not many pple can have the luxury of saying they love what they do, so I should be grateful! :p It was just funnily coincidental that i should get these 2 calls, which made me wonder if someone up there was trying to drop me a hint!

Matt's company just got bought over, and we're not sure what's going to happen to the employees, so in a way I guess I get fairly nervous abt the household income. He's been really secure though, still enjoying his job and working hard and not worried at all like I am. He keeps reminding me we have nothing to fear cos everything's provided for by the big guy :) A simple truth that he has to drill into me ever so often.

Okie poks, time for me to head out and run errands, I'll upload more stuff fr Maad later. Just realised to my horror that I've forgotten to take pictures of many new and sold items!!! Have had to bother some pple to take photos of their purchases for me :( Have a lovely rest of the week everyone!

4 comments:

maki ♥ squarepatch said...

i think we all need a little jostling for His blessings every now and then. keep the faith gal, you're doing GREAT! i mean...great job at MAAD already. sorry i'm in perpetual daze at MAAD. i need to sleep more on friday nights. -e

Pink Boudoir said...

It is not all that wonderful going for a corporate job. I don't get politics where I work which I am so thankful for & I get days that end with me feeling priceless. These are driving factors that made me chose a corporate life despite the bad, long & draining days that I get much often. The fact that I am in a male dominated industry actually keeps me going. People go WOW when they hear what I do & the number of subordinates(I have 140+) I have but really, they have no idea what I am in. The good days are so much lesser but the passion & those few good days are enough to keep me in the corporate world. The perks are just bonus that comes with it.

It is amazing to do what you do fulltime, it would take me lots of guts to do it but maybe someday when I would want to start smelling the flowers & take things slow. You are doing a fantastic job, very inspiring to pop by your blog daily.

Yiwen Challenger said...

Hey enqi, haha no worries, think i'm getting used to your zoning out look haha.. or as matt would put it, mong-ing phase :) A pity our booths weren't near other other or it would have been double the fun!!

And Farah, i can tell how fulfilling your job must be despite the hard work! Office politics can be a drainer so i'm happy for you that you don't have to go thru it :) You have to email me to tell me what industry you're in, i'm so intrigued!!

P.S. I'm sure when the time comes and you feel you can do pink boudouir full time, that will be the right time! Take care babe and nasty bug, be gone!

Chris The Baker said...

You're doing a great job babe! And Rule of Thumb: God provides. *Wink*

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...