Wednesday, July 18, 2007

pilgrimage to haji lane

Hehe it's been such an indulgent day today! Daniel came over and we treated ourselves to the famous and super yummy "kong kong" mee near my place before heading out for some exploring around the quaint Haji Lane. Boy, were there many hidden treasures!! I especially dig this 2 storey shophouse clothing boutique called Collage, which has little secret corners filled with ponds, rattan chairs and old retro armchairs that are so reminiscent of old peranankan houses with high open ceilings and creakety old wooden boards. I've been there before, and I never fail to go home with something from this cosy shop that has a wonderful range of both vintage and new clothing.

There are many many other cool finds, but I simply have to mention Pluck, which stocks many local labels like Kookii:Kooky and Little Odd Forest... and their own in-house line of "deadly sins" tshirts which are majorly funky and comfy, and Daniel couldn't resist a "Slovenly" for him and his babe. Oops! Hope she isn't reading this now or I'd have spoilt her surprise!! I got a Kookii owl mushroom wrist clutch (told you i've got an owl fetish) and a different one for a friend's birthday and was fancying one of the brilliant owl brooches when Daniel was suddenly overwhelmed with a I-found-sth-fabulous! shopping esctasy which I used to think only applied to women. He'd found this beautiful vintage pleated almost pin-stripe skirt in green, blue and red that not only did not make you look fat but was in mint condition! I found the price tag a tad pricey even though it was really really really very very very pretty with great personality. Let's just say that at the end of the mental pros and cons process this Bordello Princess baby is now with me at home. It's really Daniel's fault for being the "little evil shopaholic" voice in my head!! And oh did i mention the ice cream parlour in Pluck that serves divine brownies? I chose lychee martini ice cream to go with mine and it was just so so so so good. The parlour is really small there are only 4 little round tables but it's still a very quaint place to hide on a warm afternoon. Pls don't hate me for being able to chill while you working folks are slaving in the office!

Anyway this means I have to work doubly hard to make up for the crazy spending (except for the birthday present bit) so watch out for a few new earrings tmr ~ customization will take a while for those who've placed orders and those who're thinking of doing it. I have a daily quota of 1) private orders to finish 2) pieces for sale online and 3) possibly new pieces for the next Maad. This helps in making sure I don't go nuts stocking up for the fair! Hope this also explains why private orders take quite long to fulfil, but I'm doing my best yea!!

Lastly I just have to share these goodies from Fiona who's based in Palembang with her husband ~ just check out the cute owl sunglass cases that she made! I like how her quirky creations are infused with a somewhat local flavour :) I've been bugging her to come back and join us at Maad so let's wait for Nov! Or Dec! Or both!

And now back to work. Sigh.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

the haji lane/arab street has been one of my favourite hangout.

a place that is filled with much colours and speaks of ethnicity, traditions and yet the contemporary :)

Yiwen Challenger said...

You are so right babe! It's a real cool place to hang out with friends, especially Pluck's ice cream parlour! Just hope it'll never lose its understated charm! :)

Anonymous said...

Haha.. :) I love owls too. I like to go etsy to see all sorts of vintage items to do with owls and drool..
Tell me which cover you like or 2 fave colours & I'll have one owl ready for you, year end. ;)

Yiwen Challenger said...

Thanks fiona! Will email you soon yea! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...